Personnel Matching

chrebet1024
Admin

Personnel Matching

Post by chrebet1024

Below is our "Personnel Matching" guidelines.

YOU MUST MATCH PERSONNEL.  A Nickel against 3 WR's, a Dime/Quarter against 4/5 WR's and Base against 2 WR's.

The reason it's not SET IN STONE is because THERE ARE instances in which the DEFENSE DOESN'T have to match personnel....BUT those instances should be VERY RARE.

Please read below:

Personnel Matching
Defenses need to match personnel just like on Sundays.  This is how football works….the offense sends out the personnel and the defense then counters it by sending out theirs.  This means calling Nickel against 3 WR’s, a 4-3/3-4/46 against 2 WR’s, Dime against 4 WR’s and so on.
*The Defense should NEVER be picking their play before the offense does.
*And NOT MATCHING PERSONNEL should be a RARE THING. ****This has ALWAYS BEEN HERE in the Rules
--2 WR's = Base Defense (3-4, 4-3, 4-6)
--3 WR's = Nickel Defense
--4 or 5 WR's = Dime or Quarter Defense

*Situations also factor into personnel matching.  While matching is critical, it is of course not necessary that you match every play.  There are situations in which it won’t happen.  The most famous in a SIM league being 3rd and long when the offense puts out a base formation of 2 WR’s in the hopes the defense will put out a base.  It would be silly for the defense to put out a base defense in that situation.
*Another great example is if a defense is going up against a WR like TE in the mold of Jimmy Graham and they don't want to get repeatedly torched by him if a LB or Safety is on him every play.  The defense in this situation has every right and explanation to be playing a dime vs 3 wr or a nickel against base.  The defense is really taking a risk as the offense would be able to run the ball a lot easier, but this is the norm in the NFL these days.  Just make sure you have reasoning behind your play and do not abuse personnel matching.

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Post on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 9:09 am by titanbrian

This is my favorite rule to break. Some of my opponents love running out of a 3 or 4 WR set, so sometimes i guess the times and leave in an extra linebacker. What i don't understand is why somebody would complain about this, I'm the one assuming all the risk! If i think its a pass down and come out in nickel, and you're in 2 WR then you have a run advantage, what's there to complain about? Other than I'm stupid? Unless your pass didn't work on a run play, or run didn't work on a passing situation, and if that is why someone is complaining then they just being a cry baby sore loser, and lost the chess match. Deathbyeagle handles this the right way, if you do it to him, he will write in a scouting report that you constantly came out in the wrong formation and he ran all over you, or he had 9 passes to the WR that was being covered by the LOLB, haha

Post on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm by kingj720

Its hard to always follow certain times like 3 n 1 shotgun set run up the middle will 99% get that yard if im 99% sure they gon run cuz they have made it a trend why we not alowed to pick a formation more fit 4 run

Post on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm by chrebet1024

The reason is because it NEVER happens in the NFL. And because LB's CAN do a descent job on a WR in a video game that they could NEVER do in real life....ESPECIALLY when in zone.

Now of course we leave it up to the defense because in some SIM leagues where personnel matching is MANDATORY ON EVERY PLAY...offense know this and take advantage of it.

Example:
On a 3rd and 15....the offense puts out a base offense. 2 RB's, 2 WR's and 1 TE. With that rule, the Defense MUST put out a base defense, 3-4, 4-3, 46. THAT IS STUPID. and unrealistic.

In the NFL....they OVER COMPENSATE FOR THE PASS when matching....never UNDER COMPENSATE.

Meaning they'll put 4 DB's out there on 3 WR and 1 TE. Never will they go base defense against 3 WR's because that WR will KILL the defense. Very rarely that happens.

The ONLY time i ever "Under-Compensate" for the pass is if the situation is 3rd and 1 and the offense puts out 3 WR's in hopes I go nickel. In that case I'll take the chance and go base...and put one of my safeties on the 3rd WR.

Bottom line is this...we must match personnel MOST OF THE TIME. Most of the time meaning in SOME cases we don't have to. USE IT SPARINGLY when it makes sense to do so.

Post on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:12 pm by chrebet1024

...yes KingJay good point. That's why our rule is not MANDATORY TO EVERY PLAY. Pick your spots when NOT TO MATCH.

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Sep 2018, 5:51 am