Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ball Distribution SIm vs Un-Sim?

str8coach
    str8coach

Ball Distribution  SIm vs Un-Sim? Empty Ball Distribution SIm vs Un-Sim?

Post by str8coach

MEFL Community. Just thought I'd share thoughts regarding sim ball distribution.
    In many Madden "sim" Leagues, it is frowned upon to have the TE leading the Team in receptions (Especially if the TE is not considered "elite"), and to have a RB higher than 3rd on the Team in number of receptions for the season. Now this may not mirror the NFL exactly, but this is a game, and unsim ball distribution has its place with regards to "sim" style play... Now this is just my opinion, however is the opinion of notable "Sim" communities as well.
    With that being said, I thought I'd highlight questionable ball distribution by Team.. (Worst offenders in red).

Raiders: TE leads Team receptions by 18
    Redskins: TE leads Team by 2 receptions
    Seahawks: TE Leads Team in receptions by 35
    Steelers: FB 2nd leading in receptions: D. Thomas leads neares reciever by 51 catches
    Texans: Leading WR leads next WR by 35 receptions, there are two TE's a HB and FB with more receptions than the next WR.
    Bengals: RB 2nd in receptions
    Bills: TE leading team in receptions by 19
    Broncos: TE Leads Team in receptions by 2
    Buccaneers: RB leads Team in receptions
    Chargers: RB 2nd in receptions
    Colts: TE leads team in recptions by 9
    Dolphins: RB leads team in receptions by 4
    Falcons: RB 2nd in recpetions
    Lions: TE leads Team in receptions by 16
    Share this post on: reddit

DarkArchivist

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 5:35 pm by DarkArchivist

Thats because all those positions are the most likely to be mismatched. A coach like Bill Belichick in real football would put the kicker on on a fullback/ halfback/ h-back or TE IF he thought he could cover him, but our SIM league, that would be "UN"sim like. Smile
    BurntCabbage

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 5:51 pm by BurntCabbage

Texans ball distribution is getting very unsim in my opinion.  I have known about his tendency to throw to TE's, FB's, and HB's and voiced my concerns when he traded for FB Reece.  I also have tendency to believe that when players have a lot of receptions at these positions like HB and FB, that mostly are final reads on passing plays (unless its a screen, etc), something is being abused.  Which could be anything really.....specific plays being ran over and over, the same hot routes being used (especially to HB and FB), etc.  Me and the Texans guy are just getting to know each other, but i have been aware and somewhat watching his stats.  Looks like I need to get to know some of these other guys stats too, lol.  I'm not sure about all these TE's and RB's leading the team in receptions.  Of course i need to see who some of these TE's are........

Thanks as always Athlete.

@Darkactivist. Of course the Sim God did NOT make the list.....
    DarkArchivist

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm by DarkArchivist

Nope! I may not agree with everything but i do my best to play by the rules sir! Smile 
    stallion504

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 6:33 pm by stallion504

Since my team is one of those called out, I would like for to also look at yards after catch. No where in the rules did I read that I had to have my WR lead in receptions. The way my offense is set, ball distribution is spread out. I probably will never have 1 WR with over 1,000 yards because everyone gets the ball. If my HB gets it more due to being open, then he his getting it. My HB has been injured for the past 5 weeks. Prior to his injury he was 2nd in rushing in the league. He is a bad dude when the ball is in his hand PERIOD... If my WR are dropping passes at critical moments, like they have been, then I'm going with who I feel is reliable to catch the ball when I really need them to. I have lost many games with WR' s dropping passes on 3rd down.....

I'm always open for constructive criticism, but you also need to look at all of the stat breakdown...
    str8coach

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm by str8coach

stallion504 wrote:Since my team is one of those called out, I would like for to also look at yards after catch. No where in the rules did I read that I had to have my WR lead in receptions. The way my offense is set, ball distribution is spread out. I probably will never have 1 WR with over 1,000 yards because everyone gets the ball. If my HB gets it more due to being open, then he his getting it. My HB has been injured for the past 5 weeks. Prior to his injury he was 2nd in rushing in the league. He is a bad dude when the ball is in his hand PERIOD...  If my WR are dropping passes at critical moments, like they have been, then I'm going with who I feel is reliable to catch the ball when I really need them to. I have lost many games with WR' s dropping passes on 3rd down.....

I'm always open for constructive criticism, but you also need to look at all of the stat breakdown...

Ummmm.. No. Im sorry. In Madden, a RB should never lead a Team in receptions, no matter how you try to justify it.. To say your RB is more reliable to catch a ball than one of ur receivers is an excuse in my opinion..
    stallion504

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 7:23 pm by stallion504

Well this is something that I would be happy to discuss with the commissioners of this league and them only, as they they set the rules. First of all I do not cheat, nor do I blatantly violate the rules. Can I improve on being a better SIM player? Absolutely. SIM in my opinion is based on perspective. Every last one of our owners I'm sure you could argue an UNSIM play if your looking for it. All of this stuff you can see in a real NFL game, it's the abuse of the same play and use of personnel I would also have a problem with.

Again, I'm open to constructive criticism to improve my game play, but I don't need to make freakin excuse for my HB having more receptions then my receivers. I did not even review the breakdown of the stats until posted on the site as if I was abusing something. This could have been something you could have sent in a private message for my awareness.
    str8coach

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm by str8coach

The breakdown of these Teams was to bring awareness.. This is not to say you are unsim, put you on blast, call you out, etc... However your RB does lead your Team in receptions, and every WR on your Team has higher catch ratings than your RB that happens to be leading your Team in receptions.. So to say you throw to your RB because he is more reliable is kind of confusing..

Also, this post was not to say that every player should have even ball distribution.. It was to bring awareness to questionable ball distribution..
    BurntCabbage

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 8:43 pm by BurntCabbage

I can see some of those teams maybe not even knowing the HB or TE leads in receptions. Stallion apparently being one of them. But now that he is aware that his HB leads in receptions maybe he can start looking at his games and seeing why. I'm with Athlete on the HB leading a team in receptions thing, it just does not happen. When I sit down and play a game of madden a HB just does not get more than 4-5 receptions a game. My playcalling just does not allow it. Now thats not to say I won;t have a game where my HB catches 8 passes, because depending how the D is playing it is possible. But I could never have a HB lead through the course of a season. I just don't see how that happens. I can see a HB maybe 3rd or 4th on the team in receptions, but not really higher than that. I've never watched your games this year Stallion, but from a statistical standpoint compared to the NFL norm, HB's dont lead in receptions, receivers do. And no one is saying you are cheating.....we dont know why your HB leads in receptions......but it can look suspect. Owners look at stats and try to figure out what your going to do, and if your HB leads in receptions, it can look like something funny is going on just because it is not the NFL norm and therefore not a good practice when in a league trying to emulate the NFL. But a cheater? No, i know you definitely are not on of those. I do not think you have a money play to your HB that you abuse or anything, but if I were you, I would look a little more closely at what make your stats that way. You may notice something you don't realize you are doing. That has happened to me before and I was glad when it did, because it's really easy to pick up a bad habit and just not realize it.
    titanbrian

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 8:56 pm by titanbrian

Oh man, I have a receiver leading in catches and I'm still on the list, LMAO.

Let me break it down this way, WR #1 avr. 4 catches/ game. Two TE's 3 / game. HB 2 / game, and my favorite the FB is at 1.7 per game ( just for you cabbage,  haha ) then WR # 2 at 1.2 / game.

WR #2  will get higher as we go, he started with a catch rating in the 60's, and is probably leading my team in drops.

I would like to add my opponents use an unusually high amount of purple zones,  and that does keep me from throwing to my WR's more, but we are only talking about a couple of catches as game,  add you can see from the #'s above.

Very lively topic though, I  like it !!!
    stallion504

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:06 pm by stallion504

BurntCabbage wrote:I can see some of those teams maybe not even knowing the HB or TE leads in receptions.  Stallion apparently being one of them.  But now that he is aware that his HB leads in receptions maybe he can start looking at his games and seeing why.  I'm with Athlete on the HB leading a team in receptions thing, it just does not happen.  When I sit down and play a game of madden a HB just does not get more than 4-5 receptions a game.  My playcalling just does not allow it.  Now thats not to say I won;t have a game where my HB catches 8 passes, because depending how the D is playing it is possible.  But I could never have a HB lead through the course of a season.  I just don't see how that happens.  I can see a HB maybe 3rd or 4th on the team in receptions, but not really higher than that.  I've never watched your games this year Stallion, but from a statistical standpoint compared to the NFL norm, HB's dont lead in receptions, receivers do.  And no one is saying you are cheating.....we dont know why your HB leads in receptions......but it can look suspect.  Owners look at stats and try to figure out what your going to do, and if your HB leads in receptions, it can look like something funny is going on just because it is not the NFL norm and therefore not a good practice when in a league trying to emulate the NFL.  But a cheater?  No, i know you definitely are not on of those.  I do not think you have a money play to your HB that you abuse or anything, but if I were you, I would look a little more closely at what make your stats that way.  You may notice something you don't realize you are doing.  That has happened to me before and I was glad when it did, because it's really easy to pick up a bad habit and just not realize it.

Now I can work on that. No problem. The only thing that I could trace it back to is me trying to get it in Doug Martins hands ax much as possible, rushing and receptions as to what he could do with the ball. With him being out 5 weeks so far due to injury, I have been forced to go to my receivers more. I'm big enough to admit fault on my understanding of what is normal for game play. Going forward I will not go to my HB as much when passing and spread the ball around more.

Athlete, all I'm saying is that I thought you could have maybe pointed this out differently, maybe as a blanket statement for all owners to be mindful of verses naming teams. I did take a little offense to it, but it's all good.

These tips are good as it should help make us all better players.
    BurntCabbage

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:13 pm by BurntCabbage

titanbrian wrote:WR #2  will get higher as we go, he started with a catch rating in the 60's, and is probably leading my team in drops.

In titanbrians defense, his receivers ARE all speedsters who can't catch shit.  And I do believe he did trade his best young WR who could actually catch......so he may have point with why he can't have 2 receivers lead in receptions.  Just tank god Andre can haul em in!

*edit*  I knew i would do that one day.  I'm talking about his default team obviously.  I guess i have no idea who his receivers are, lmao.
    titanbrian

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:22 pm by titanbrian

Still speed guys in fantasy too. My philosophy kicks ass, that's why I'm # 16 in the power rankings ( take that bithches under me in rankings )!! Lol
    BurntCabbage

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:27 pm by BurntCabbage

*under titanbrian in the rankings*  Crying or Very sad 

Guess I'll just shut up now.....
    titanbrian

Post Sat 04 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm by titanbrian

Lol, you're all right cabbage, if I'm ever in your area, I'll buy the beer!

Post Sun 05 Jan 2014, 1:46 am by SDchargers373

There are some backs that just catch more passes sproules woodhead etc. so many reasons why it could happen at points in a season, injuries, shitty oline etc. when I watch a nfl football game HB catches varies greatly. The chargersline up woodhead all over the place.saints throw to sproules lots.jamaal Charles lines up everywhere. Conversely u don't see marshawn lynch catching tons of passes.IMO it's all about ur team philosophy and game strategy.

Post Sun 05 Jan 2014, 10:46 am by qn0sis

You are aware some of us inherited teams in the middle of the season right?

Post Sun 05 Jan 2014, 10:57 am by qn0sis

You can go ahead and cross me off your list....

#1 My top receiver leads my team by about 33 catches....
    #2 Sproles has 1 more reception than decker, 4-5 more than simpson and only 10 more than 2 of my tight ends that actually combine for 43 catches.

Im pretty sure if you look at the actual receptions you would see that I spread the ball around just fine.
    titanbrian

Post Sun 05 Jan 2014, 12:26 pm by titanbrian

My WR #1 also has 288 more downs played, that contributes to the gap for sure!

Thank you str8coach for bringing up this topic, because anything that gets me to look at my team from a different perspective is good. Weather I'm in the wrong or right.

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 02 May 2024, 2:13 pm